Sophia doesn't recognize sentences

sessionsurvive
Sep 2026
2 posts
0 likes
Member
Sophia doesn't recognize sentences
Posted Mon Sep 28th 20:14• Last edited Mon Sep 28th 20:19

[code]

 
[2026-09-28 12:53:03] text: Good morning.
    intent HassRespond:
  response: i'm not sure what you mean.

[/code]

I have a sentence that contains "Good Morning" linked to a script to play NPR News.

Amusingly I can ask it to play NPR news and it will execute the correct script.

[code]

 CSV: script       script.play_npr_news    Play NPR News   

[/code]

Overall it's nifty; rather finicky to configure but once it works it's pretty solid so far.

Cheers!

Matt
Apr 2025
36 posts
0 likes
Member
Posted Mon Sep 28th 21:55

Thanks for your interest in Sophia.

Can you please goto your localhost web interface via either http://YOUR_HA_IP:10520/ or by clicking the UI button in the Settings -> Apps menu of Home Assistant.

The first page you will see is the custom sentences page. Do you see the "Good morning" sentence there? Was that custom sentence created within Sophia, or is it in your ./config/custom_sentences/ directory? Sophia should pickup both, so I'm just wondering.

sessionsurvive
Sep 2026
2 posts
0 likes
Member
Posted Tue Sep 29th 01:07

from the web interface yes there is a "Good Morning" sentence, the first post's CSV: line was one I previously generated and not part of Sophia I do not have a ./configs/custom_sentences/ directory

Matt
Apr 2025
36 posts
0 likes
Member
Posted Tue Sep 29th 01:51

Hmmm.. can you please delete the custom sentence and recreate it, but when doing so ensure it's lowercase with zero punctuation?

I find this odd, because I know custom sentences work. The first thing Sophia does is check the custom sentences before it does any intent recognition.

Please delete and recreate the sentence. Then when you send "good morning" into it please check the Log menu of the localhost web interface. What does it say for the "good morning" sentence?

There's a chance it's firing the script, but not outputing the correct speech response. I could see that potentially being a bug, but custom sentences should be fine.

Please let me know how it goes.

sessionsurvive
Sep 2026
2 posts
0 likes
Member
Posted Tue Sep 29th 02:50• Last edited Tue Sep 29th 02:54

Done! everything is lower case; the response below shows a capital first character and a period that do not exist in the sentence entered

[code]

[2026-09-28 19:38:07] text: Good morning.
intent HassTurnOn:domain=script:name=Play NPR News
error: no_match
response: can't locate that item. 

[/code]

Matt
Apr 2025
36 posts
0 likes
Member
Posted Tue Sep 29th 03:21

Ok, thanks for that. So it's correctly handling the custom sentence and coming up with the correct intent.

It's just the script isn't being fired. I did modify this part last upgrade so it would correctly pull the correct custom speech response within the script. That may have caused a bug.

Let me take a look tomorrow and I should have a patch coming out later this week. I probably won't send an e-mail about it because I don't want to bug folks, but will drop a note here once it's released to let you know.

Thanks in advance for your patience, and thanks for letting me know about the issue.

Quick Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this thread.

Login Register