"turn on specific switch from multi-gang switch"

o3scotto
Aug 2026
4 posts
0 likes
Member
"turn on specific switch from multi-gang switch"
Posted Sun Aug 23rd 16:29

An oddity i've come across. I have a 4 gang switch (sonoff 4ch). This is named "power strip"

I have named each of the switches independently, and given them alias's.

Using the standard home assistant agent "turn on computer" works fine.

Using Sophia: [2026-08-23 17:29:04] text: Turn on computer. intent HassTurnOn:common_name=computer:domain=automation:entity_id=automation.1746219579483:name=Turn on TV failed: automation.1746219579483 response: but there was a problem with computer

it seems to be looking at an automation.

"turn on the switch computer" does work, although it is a somewhat cumbersome phrase to say:

[2026-08-23 17:25:30] text: Turn on the switch computer. intent HassTurnOn:common_name=switch computer:domain=switch:entity_id=switch.power_strip_computer:name= success: switch.power_strip_computer response: alright, Computer is on. take care

As I say, I have given it an Alias of "computer" as well. Any idea how I can make this easier? (I have several multi-gang switches, so this problem isn't limited to 1 device)

o3scotto
Aug 2026
4 posts
0 likes
Member
Posted Sun Sep 06th 14:58

This also is the case if I have a 2 gang light switch, the alias's don't seem to be picked up

wickedmike
Sep 2026
0 posts
0 likes
Member
Posted Mon Sep 07th 21:26

Just want to confirm I'm hitting the same underlying issue, on completely different hardware — so this doesn't look like it's specific to multi-gang Sonoff switches.

My case: a Home Assistant Voice PE satellite in my Office has its own onboard status LED (light.home_assistant_voice_..._led_ring), sitting in the same area as two real room-light entities (a ceiling light and a desk light switch). Same symptom you described — a specific, unambiguous target gets ignored in favor of a broader area+domain match.

A few examples from my log, all resolving to all three lights instead of just the one I asked for:

[2026-09-07 14:00:36] text: Only turn on the light on the voice assistant in the office. intent HassTurnOn:area=Office:common_name=light:domain=light success: light.office_desk_switch, light.home_assistant_voice_0a8b6c_led_ring, light.office_lights response: done, the Office lights are now on.

Interestingly, I also found a case where a qualifier DOES narrow correctly in the same area — "office ceiling lights" resolves to exactly one entity every time, but "office desk lights" falls through to the broad sweep, same as your "computer" alias getting ignored. Tried explicitly renaming/aliasing on my end (same idea as your alias attempt) and it didn't help either — so at least in my case it doesn't seem to be something fixable purely through naming/config on our side.

Like you, "turn on the switch/light [x]" (stating the domain explicitly) works reliably — just wanted to add a second data point in case it helps narrow down what's different about certain words/qualifiers vs. others. Sent a fuller writeup to Matt directly as well.

Running v2.1, HA OS add-on.

o3scotto
Aug 2026
4 posts
0 likes
Member
Posted Tue Sep 08th 19:50

At least it's not just me! I'm also getting the same with multi gang aqara light switches. Looking at the 'entities' section in the Sophia app, it only lists devices, not the separate entries, as if it can't see the separate switches

o3scotto
Aug 2026
4 posts
0 likes
Member
Posted Tue Sep 08th 19:50

At least it's not just me! I'm also getting the same with multi gang aqara light switches. Looking at the 'entities' section in the Sophia app, it only lists devices, not the separate entries, as if it can't see the separate switches

Matt
Apr 2025
36 posts
0 likes
Member
Posted Mon Sep 14th 15:11

Thanks for your interest in Sophia and sorry for such a late response to this.

Sophia has been modified to be much more strict about firing automations and will be included in the upcoming upgrade that should hopefully be out later today.

The other advice I can give is tag your entities via the Entities menu of the localhost web interface. Hope that helps, and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Warm regards, Matt

Matt
Apr 2025
36 posts
0 likes
Member
Posted Wed Sep 16th 05:04

Sorry for such a crappy initial reply.

Please visit the Entities menu of the localhost web interface. Do you see all the switches? They should be there under the devices section. I would suggest just adding tags to them.

If it's not working correctly, please e-mail me directly at [email protected] and I'd be happy to look at your specific configuration. I'm just going through and putting together an understanding update now.

Matt
Apr 2025
36 posts
0 likes
Member
Posted Thu Sep 17th 07:00

For anyone reading, confirmed this is now resolved as of v2.1.4 upgrade.

Quick Reply

You must be logged in to reply to this thread.

Login Register